Sunday 21 June 2020
Sunday Afternoon Art – Mindful Play
Sunday Afternoon Art is our monthly art drop-in session which is usually held at the Gallery for families to take part in on the first Sunday of every month. Whilst the Gallery is closed, we are hosting a new Sunday Afternoon Art activity online every week so you can continue to get creative with us whilst at home.
Today’s activity has been designed by mindfulness coach Sam from SamMantra.
Mindful Play is a wonderful way to introduce your child to the benefits of mindfulness and help them develop important focusing skills to regulate their emotions. On this page you will find a series of short fun interactive mindful practices you can do at home with your children.
Each activity introduces a series of mindfulness practices including breathwork, movement and sensory skills as well as additional creative activities inspired by the gallery’s historic building and collections.
Follow this step by step online resource led by experienced mindfulness teacher Sam to guide you and your family through each practice activity.
Suitable for children age 4 to 12 years of age, these practices are designed as family activities to watch together with your child. Open to all – no experience of mindfulness is needed to enjoy these family sessions at home together.
Before you start you will need:
- A yoga mat or rug. A cushion and a blanket for each child and a soft small cuddly toy for the breath work and movement activities.
- For the creative activity you can extend the mindful play session by making your own flower wheel prop before hand.
- Optional – If you don’t have time to make your flower wheel just use a real flower instead for the practices, and make sure it has a smooth stem you can hold safely like a daisy from your garden, or a feather works really well too.
- Allow 30 minute to complete the practical exercises and 30 minutes or longer to complete the creative activity in your own time.
- When you are ready to start, find a quiet space at home where there are no other distractions around. If it’s a sunny day any of these practices can take place in a quiet spot outside too!
Check here for the details for making a flower wheel. You can either download the template or link to a walk through of the activity with pictures.
Video Clip One: Mindfulness & the Monkey Mind
- Practice 1: Clapping Hands
- Practice 2: Anchoring Feet
Video Clip Two: Breathwork
- Practice 3: Counting Breaths
- Practice 4: Flower Breathing (you can follow the instructions attached above for making the flower wheel)
Video Clip Three: Body & Breath
- Practice 5: Breathing Buddies
- Practice 6: Mindful Bells & Kind Wishes to the World
All videos and content has been produced by kind permission from SamMantra for Orleans House Gallery. The content is not meant to be reproduced without the permission of SamMantra in conjunction with Orleans House Gallery. Filming and editing by Bella Weerasinghe.
Sam will be back next week with more mindful play activities. For more information on SamMantra & her mindfulness & wellbeing classes & courses here.
Share your experiences and artworks with us at #OrleansHouseGallery or with Sam @SamMantra (Twitter and Facebook) and @SamMantra_uk (Instagram)