Arthur Grogan (1925-2011) was a discerning collector of late 19th century British works of art and craft, an authority of the Arts and Crafts movement and a benefactor to public collections in Britain. Arthur and his wife Helen helped save Standen House in West Sussex for the nation in the 1970s and 80s. The Philip Webb designed house is now run by the National Trust.
Before moving to Standen where Arthur was honorary curator, the Grogans had lived in Richmond.
Grogan was born in Hampton Hill. As he grew up, he developed a passion for antiques and spent all his spare time combing junk shops and sale rooms for treasures. He trained as an architect at Richmond Technical College and later became an inspector with the Historic Buildings Council, the predecessor of English Heritage.
Grogan collected paintings and watercolours by 19th century artists who were then out of favour, including members of the New English Art Club and the Pre-Raphaelites.
In 2008, he donated 8 works to the Richmond Borough Art Collection. The Grogan Collection, which numbers 167 works, was shared between 9 museums including the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool and Tate Britain in London.